Ray Arenofsky - Attorney At Law

What Should I Do if I Get into an Accident with a Drunk Driver?

Drunk drivers are responsible for countless fatal car accidents around the country.

Not only is drunk driving against the law, but if you or someone you love is seriously injured as a result of being hit by a drunk driver, you are probably eligible for compensation.

Sometimes, it is not always clear that the other driver is under the influence. Additionally, symptoms of marijuana intoxication look different than alcohol intoxication.

Either way, driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is a serious offense. If you are hit in a car accident that involved a drunk driver, here are a few tips to help protect yourself and seek justice.

Call 911

Don’t wait. Before you do anything else, call 911 and tell them that you were in an accident with a driver that you suspect was intoxicated.

The 911 agent will request your location and ask you if you are okay. Make sure that you are speaking with a local 911 call center, as cell phone companies can accidentally ping you in the wrong location.

Request an Ambulance

If you suspect that you, your passengers, or the other driver is injured, inform the 911 agent that people are injured.

They will be sure to call an ambulance. Provide as much detail as you can on the injuries. They can call for additional EMT units, if necessary.

Take Pictures

Use your phone to get pictures of the damage to both vehicles, as well as the site of the crash. If possible (and appropriate), get pictures of any injuries.

Contact your insurance company and supply them with your photos. Also, be sure to save your photos and back them up on your computer.

Inform the Responding Officer of Your Suspicions

When the officer arrives on the scene, be sure to tell them that you suspect the other driver of being drunk. The officer can perform a breathalyzer test on the other driver to confirm.

Sometimes drunk or intoxicated drivers are aware enough to try to hide it. If you notice the other driver acting strangely or trying to make themselves vomit, they might be trying to cover up their crime.

In some cases, drunk drivers flee the scene. Do your best to provide as many details as you can of the other driver. It is likely that they are going to get into another accident, and the police will be able to connect the dots.

Seek Medical Attention

If you and your passengers are seriously injured, go immediately to the emergency room.

However, if you don’t feel seriously hurt, you should still make an appointment with your primary care provider or visit an urgent care facility.

Often, injuries begin showing symptoms after the crash, but a medical professional can examine you for injuries right away. If you wait to get medical attention, you may not be able to file a personal injury case to get compensated for medical bills and lost wages.

Get an Attorney

Drunk driving accidents are serious cases. If you are the victim of an accident involving a drunk driver, you likely qualify for a personal injury lawsuit.

You should talk to a local car accident attorney immediately. An experienced attorney can examine your case and help you seek damages both from the drunk driver and possibly even the establishment that served the drunk driver.

For more information about how an Arizona car accident attorney can help you with your case, contact Ray Arenofsky at 480-345-0444 or visit our website.

Share this Article

About the Author

I associate with the top 1 or 2% of trial lawyers that are best suited for your particular case. I am involved in practically any kind of injury case you can imagine. I will protect your rights and seek all possible compensation due to you.

Follow Us